Relief from Swollen Gum
Despite brushing and flossing twice a day, if you leave a little something just under the gum line it could allow bacteria to begin to grow. Rinsing with an alcohol-based mouthwash may kill most of the germs that cause bad breath but it also creates an environment in which additional bacteria can continue to grow. Commercial mouthwash is not good for your mouth! The dryness it causes can create a better environment for harmful bacteria. The swelling may be an indication worse times are coming for your teeth. Putting an end to the swollen gums and staving off additional infection becomes a primary goal.
Caught early enough, you can put an end to the growth of the bacteria and your swollen gums. One of the easiest ways is to rinse your mouth with a saline solution. Common table salt mixed with warm water creates a mouth rinse that can help remove the bacteria while still being kind to the tissue in your mouth. Although it can offer relief from the uncomfortable feeling created by the swollen gums, the relief is only temporary. You will need to rinse your mouth several times a day until the swelling goes down.
If you choose to ignore the swollen gums for a day or so you might find they do not go away on their own. Many times the swelling may go down on its own with normal dental hygiene. However, if the bacteria are firmly imbedded in the gums, they can swell to a point where your teeth are completely hidden by the expanded gums. This is where the real pain begins and a trip to a dental professional will be needed.
It is also possible the swollen gums are the result of a tooth becoming impacted with bacteria. But, most doctors and dentists will not take any invasive steps until the swelling goes down. In most instances, an antibiotic will be required to kill the bacterium that is causing the swollen gums. Pain medication may be prescribed to make it more comfortable until it does go away.
In some instances the swelling may be caused by an allergy to medication or food. Knowing that stopping the use of the product will allow the swelling to go down does not make it any less uncomfortable. However, ending its use can help return the gums to normal in just a few days.